Do you know ylang-ylang essential oil? The Ylang-Ylang (Cananga odorata) which means “flower of flowers”, is a tree originally from Madagascar that is also found in India, Java, the Philippines, Central America and northern South America. The essence is extracted from the flower, large and showy, and is widely used in perfumes and cosmetics due to its sweet and pleasant aroma. This oil is very popular in aromatherapy .
Properties of Ylang-Ylang Essential Oil
Ylang-ylang is a tree from which its yellow flowers are collected, from which the essential oil is obtained.
This oil has antiseptic, hypotensive, antispasmodic, antidepressant, aphrodisiac and sedative properties, which give it several health and beauty benefits.
Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, it can help to calm inflammatory skin conditions.
- It is widely used in the manufacture of perfumes and cosmetics, being suitable for both dry and oily skin , due to its regulating action on sebum secretion.
- It is antidepressant and sedative, and can be used to help people who experience sexual difficulties, since they almost always result from stress and anxiety .
- In addition to reducing high blood pressure, it relieves tachycardia (very fast heart beat) and hyperpnea (abnormally rapid breathing).
- As a general antiseptic, its value is moderate, but it is quite useful in intestinal infections. It has a soothing effect on the skin, and is widely used in facial massage oils due to its aroma.
- It has the ability to balance hormones, making it very important for the treatment of problems associated with the reproductive system, where it is indicated as a tonic for the uterus and can be useful after a cesarean section.
- It has a tonic and stimulating effect on the scalp , favoring hair growth and volume increase.
- The simple inhalation of essential oil can help fight stress, emotional trauma, as well as stimulate the production of hormones.
Benefits of Ylang-Ylang Essential Oil
- Improves anxiety and agitation.
- Helps to relax, helping to get sleep .
- It has calming properties that help relieve stress, nervous and muscular tension and soothe palpitations, promoting relaxation.
- Helps in the treatment of acne and blemishes , as it stimulates cell renewal.
- Helps regulate skin oiliness.
- Helps prevent hair loss .
- Stimulates the hair bulb, leaving the hair healthier and improving hair growth .
How to use essential oil?
- For anxiety, stress, depression , insomnia and palpitations : put a few drops on a tissue and breathe deeply. You can also use a diffuser or put a few drops in a bowl of hot water and then place a towel over your head and inhale the steam for a few minutes.
- For skin care : Add 1 drop of ylang-ylang essential oil to your clay mask . Separate 20 ml of your moisturizer and add 5 drops of oil. Mix well and pass on the skin as usual.
- For hair treatment : Separate a tablespoon of vegetable oil ( jojoba , coconut , argan or castor ) and add 3 drops of essential oil of ylang-ylang. Rub on the scalp and massage well. Leave on for 10 minutes and wash normally. Oil can also be added to shampoo and hair lotions.