Originating in southern Italy, lemon has a thick yellow peel, is elongated and concentrates less juice compared to tahini lemon. However, what few people know is that tahiti is, in fact, an acidic lime, while Sicilian, yes, it is a real lemon. With a milder flavor, Sicilian lemon is very suitable for preparing sauces and for flavoring dishes, as well as serving as a base for perfumes and cosmetics.
The lemon contains vitamins and minerals, especially the vitamin C . It contains many plant compounds, minerals and essential oils. These yellow fruits also have many potential health benefits.
Some Benefits of Sicilian Lemon Water
Drinking lemon water is useful for stimulating bowel movements. In fact, lemon juice increases the production of bile in the liver and vitamins, together with the mineral salts contained in lemons, help to expel the toxins accumulated in the digestive tract. The digestive properties of lemon help to relieve pain from heartburn and stomach swelling. Rich in vitamin C, lemon is useful in combating and preventing influenza. Its high potassium content stimulates the good functioning of the nerves and the brain and helps to lower blood pressure.
Stimulating diuresis, the water-based drink with lemon helps the body to purge toxins, ensuring health and efficiency to the urinary tract.
Citric acid, combined with the properties of vitamin C, helps to reduce blood acidity levels. For this reason, drinking water with lemon regularly prevents the condition of acidosis in the body.
Vitamin C and antioxidants contained in lemon help to combat damage caused by free radicals and the formation of wrinkles. In addition, it refreshes the breath, prevents tooth and gum pain.
Sicilian Lemon Leaf Tea
Lemon leaf tea also has many benefits for the body and is a wildcard drink to help improve health in many ways.
Tea is made from the leaves of the lemon tree. Since they are also as nutritious as the fruit and can improve the functioning of the body, stimulating the metabolism, burning fats, and even increasing immunity , which makes it a great drink to treat the flu.
Tea has properties that are anti-allergic, and anti-inflammatory. That is, they can collaborate to end various types of infections, including improving the condition of the lung. It can also be used to help in cases of insomnia and agitation, as it has functions that are sedative and thus help to calm and make sleep more peaceful. It also helps to decrease muscle tension, preventing spasms and cramps.
Some people also use lemon leaf tea to aid digestion, so they consume the drink right after lunch, which helps to prevent heartburn and burning. It can also be used for respiratory problems such as bronchitis, dry cough, among others.
Lemon Leaf Tea Recipe – How to Make
- 15 g of lemon leaves (lemon tree);
- ½ liter of water;
Preparation: Place the lemon leaves and the water in a pan. Bring to a boil for a few minutes. Then, wait to cool, strain and serve immediately. Take a cup a day.
Sicilian Lemon Essential Oil
The essential oil of lemon is extracted from the peels of the ripe fruit. It has a more intense and citrus aroma, typical of fresh fruit, characterized by its slightly yellowish color.
The main therapeutic and nutritional components of essential oil are: Beta-cryptoxanthin, zeaxanthin, vitamin C, lutein, potassium, folic acid, limonene, calcium, vitamin B, iron, pectin (fiber type), copper, beta-carotene, pinene, terpinene and terpineol.
In addition to organic and non-volatile compounds, the chemical limonene makes up (between 50% and 70%) most of the lemon essential oil. On the fruit from which this oil comes, it is full of a potent nutritional profile and has a low glycemic index. It also contains citric acid, which is a natural preservative. Despite their acidic nature, they have an alkalizing effect on the body.
Its antioxidant properties are phenomenal due to its unique composition of flavonoids. These nutrients are known to offer anti-inflammatory properties and fight free radicals. When transformed into essential oil, it generates health benefits and several uses.
Benefits of Sicilian Lemon Essential Oil
- Improves immunity : Lemon essential oil has a high vitamin content. This makes it excellent for the body’s immune system . It stimulates white blood cells, increasing their ability to fight disease. It improves circulation throughout the body and is effective against infectious diseases.
- Good for the airways : Inhaling, in a simple and direct way, the aroma of lemon essential oil helps to unblock the nasal passages and paranasal sinuses, promoting a good air flow and a constant breathing. Inhaling the oil also helps with respiratory allergies .
- Improves stomach conditions such as digestion and gases : Lemon essential oil regulates stomach acid, as it balances the pH level in the stomach; it is carminative (reduces intestinal gases) and works to cure various stomach problems, including indigestion and stomach upset. Add 3 drops of lemon essential oil to the water to reduce stomach acid and acid indigestion.
- Clears the mind: Lemon essential oil helps to increase concentration and alertness. While it is regenerating it is also soothing and therefore helps to eliminate mental tiredness, exhaustion, anxiety and nervous tension. It can refresh the mind, stimulating positive thoughts and eliminating negative feelings.
- Good for skin and hair: Lemon essential oil is astringent and detoxifying. With antiseptic properties, it helps in the treatment of acne and skin disorders, being active even in reducing fat on the skin. It is a powerful refreshing agent for the scalp . Many people use lemon essential oil for strong, healthy and shiny hair. This oil can also be used to eliminate dandruff .
How to use lemon essential oil?
- Inhalation in the diffuser or drop a few drops on tissue paper and breathe deeply . In this way it helps to increase concentration and focus, prevents colds and flu, rhinitis, sinusitis, bronchitis and breathing problems, helps with insomnia and improves emotional health.
- Topical use for massages . Never use pure oil on the skin, always diluted to carrier oil . You can add a few drops to the shampoo and skin cleanser.
- Internal Use . Drop 3 drops into the water and ingest to detoxify the body, boost the immune system, deflate the body, reduce swelling, improve gas and aid digestion.